Wednesday 14 November 2012

First!

First things first, first post.

Like a lot of people I find myself sitting on a toilet thinking up utterly amazing and unique ideas and praise myself for how gosh darn clever I am. Then I wipe and go about doing whatever it was I was doing pre-bowel movement. Not this time. This time I'm going to write it down and post it on the internet for some poor bastard to stumble upon.

Some background on me. I am an Australian, I was born in the fateful year of 1989 and I have never had a TV in my home. All of this is significant but mostly the latter part because I feel it has had the largest impact on me both as a person and as a gamer ('gamer' is a term I'm still unsure if I like but then again I may just not like labels.). Without a TV I spent a lot of time either reading, pretending to shoot one of my three siblings with toy guns in the backyard or playing on our personal computer which laid the foundation and my induction into the master race that is a PC Gamer. I was in my infancy when games and the internet were in theirs and we all grew up together. Being born in Australia in that year may have had an effect on me as well but it's irrelevant for now.

My family got the internet as soon as it was available, 1993 I believe, and we had it so early that I would constantly ask classmates to have a round of Quake only to have my friendship advances rebuked with the response that not only do they not have a PC but they don't have the internet either. Consoles were a thing of magic and mystery to me. I only ever got to play with a controller on the off chance I was at someone's house and they had it set up and their parents weren't watching Xena.

Since then I've got a Bachelor's Degree in IT, an Xbox 360, a PlayStation 3 and a PlayStation Portable, a totally rad PC, and a massive backlog of games I've bought and not played. The consoles mostly sit in their boxes until a game is released that I deem worthy of playing on them which is starting to get harder. The PC is kept in a perpetual state of ON and steals smug glances at the boxed consoles.

It is here, now, that the prattle begins. Oh, the shit we'll be dribbling you really have no idea. If you grew up under similar conditions stick around for nostalgia trips or even morbid curiosity to see what could have been you if you ever took an interest in games instead of football.

shit am I becoming the very thing I hate...?

No comments:

Post a Comment